Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Daylight Saving Time Adjustment.

To start, it is daylight saving time, singular, not daylight savings time.

It is amazing to me how the body adapts and adjusts to things. There is a natural system that it seems to prefer. However, man (not necessarily a male, but mankind in general, although I would probably not be too far off specifying it as a male) likes to think that he can control time and mess biology up. This happens every year twice a year.

The first morning was fairly normal. I woke up tired, but nothing that would indicate something other than going to sleep an hour later than I normally would. But, boy, Monday morning was hard. My body got used to waking up at a certain time, and it liked that time. I didn't really have any problems waking up. I would hear my alarm, snooze a couple of times (as I normally would) and then get up feeling fine and ready to go. The past two days, however, have been nothing but a struggle. I snooze for a whole hour because my body is saying that it is still an hour earlier than normal. It has set my whole day back.

I understand the concept of daylight saving time, but is it really necessary? It is supposed to save energy, but does an hour make that much of a difference? I read that in some states, it increases electricity consumption (which is why Arizona does not make the change). While I would much rather forgo the switch, I have to say that the new date definitely makes the transition less extreme.

No comments: