Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"See that Ye Do Not Judge Wrongfully."

I have been told (and rightfully so, I'll admit) that I am too judgmental of people. Most of it comes from assuming that I know what they are thinking. I can't read minds, so I really have no clue what they are actually thinking; but sometimes my insecurity makes me think they are judging me, so I judge them back for judging me. For example, I would think that a skinny person would think less of me because I am not so skinny. I get defensive in response and create them into a bad person so I can feel better about myself. So, I realize that I project certain characteristics on other people that they may not possess, as is the case in a recent experience.

I don't consider myself very "cool" by any means. I guess that all depends on what your definition of cool is. In this case it would imply someone who is popular, who attracts people, who is the life of the party. I am more reserved and introverted, and I hate attention. Now, I tend to think that cool people would never consider me for a friend simply because similar personalities tend to attract. Well, I met a couple of guys that would fit this definition of cool. To some people, maybe they aren't so cool, but they definitely display an I'm-cool-attitude. They were polite and didn't do anything that would send a message of rejection, yet I felt that I wasn't cool enough to be their friend.

Well, I happened to run into them a few days later at the local gym. I thought I would get the typical I-know-you-and-you-know-me type of acknowledgment. Not only did we have a pleasant, brief conversation, but also I felt some genuine inclusion. I saw them in a different light. I saw that they didn't judge me for being uncool (or out of shape) and treated me like they would any other friend. They even invited me to work out with them. So, to them, I apologize for thinking they were snobby because I thought I wasn't cool enough.

All of this was supplemented with a conversation I had with my brother the other day, about lecture on how we tend to shy away from diversity and group people into categories. I will have to make a separate post for that. It was somewhat lengthy, and I will have to remember what all was said. But, suffice it to say, from this experience I have learned that I need to be more conscious of what I think of people, give them the benefit of the doubt, and treat them as if they were the coolest person on earth.

No comments: