Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Book of Revelation and Figurativeness.

I usually take things too literally. It is easier that way; you don't have to think as much. Maybe that is why I didn't do very well in my literature classes. I just had a hard time playing the guess-what-the-author-meant game.

Thankfully for me there are others who can think figuratively and can pass that information along to me so that I don't have to come up with it myself. Ok, I should try to learn some figurative thinking skills of my own, but for now, I quite enjoy learning from others.

Isaiah is way too figurative for me. I always thought that the mention of the wolf and the lamb was literal. "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them" (Isa. 11: 6). I used to think that animals would all of a sudden become herbivores. But, plants are living things, too. So, I guess animals would just stop eating. But that is not what Isaiah is talking about. These animals represent nations, meaning that there will be peace among us.

I always liked math. I tried accounting, but it just didn't go over very well. The business part of it messed me up. But I like the logic of basic math. So, to make this figurativeness more logical, let me explain the transitive property of equality.
It states that if a = b and b = c, then a = c.


Therefore, if A, B, and C in the chart are all equal, then the statement in Isaiah does refer to nations and world peace. As great as that would be, I think we are still a ways away from that day.

No comments: