Friday, April 18, 2008

My Running Enthusiast.

I have a good friend/co-worker that I really like. I'll call her Elaine. We are in the same kind of position in life, have similar experiences, struggle with similar things. It was she who started my thinking about running. When she first joined the team almost a year ago, she made mention of doing some races. At the time she was getting ready for the Summer Games triathlon. So, when I heard about the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab, Utah, I was so excited and got her and my sister to register with me. Because it is so popular, they base entrance on lottery. We didn't get it. I was so disappointed. I was just about to give up the whole idea of a half marathon when she continued to be excited about running. It was good encouragement and motivation for me. So, I decided to do the SLC half marathon instead.

Throughout the whole training, she has given me advice and encouragement. She said that the races are so much fun and that I'd really like it. All the talk made me think that she had done a few of her own. I recently found out that she hadn't done any other races besides the triathlon. She was selected to run the St. George marathon but at the last minute decided she wasn't ready enough. The whole time I was thinking that it was no big deal to her.

But this morning she came into my office and gave me one last boost of support. She gave me a card and two marathon bars. The front of the card said, "Do one thing every day that scares you. (Eleanor Roosevelt)." On the inside she wrote, "Just in case the taquitos are a bust! Good luck!" (When I got my race newsletter, I read that they were providing hot dogs and taquitos as post race refreshments. I wasn't too thrilled about those options and expressed my disappointment to her, which generated the comment.) I was very touched by her thoughtful gesture. I knew she was excited for me, perhaps even more exited than I was. I owe her a lot.

No comments: