Friday, September 5, 2008

Turn of the Seasons.

Fall has the synonym autumn. Why don't the other seasons have synonyms? Or do they, and I just don't know what they are? I tried to look them up in the thesaurus but didn't find anything. I did find it interesting, however, what the dictionary said about all four season as they pertain to different stages of life.

Spring is the first stage and freshest period.

Summer is the period of finest development, perfection, or beauty previous to any decline.

Fall (or autumn) is a time of full maturity, especially the late stages of full maturity or, sometimes, the early stages of decline.

Winter is the last or final period of life; a period of decline, decay, inertia, dreariness, or adversity. Kind of depressing sounding, isn't it?

Now, I am certainly passed the spring of my life. I am well beyond fresh. However, I don't think I could say that I have gotten to my finest development or perfection or beauty. Does that mean I am in the fall stage of life, or have I jumped completely to winter? I am quite healthy physically, so I don't think I would consider myself in any kind of decay. However, dreariness and adversity fit aptly. Can one go back to other seasons, or does one have to follow the natural order of nature? Hmmm..

The reason I bring this up is because for our annual company kick-off meeting, we went up to Snowbird and got to play around. There was something about being in the mountains with crisper atmosphere that signified to me that fall was here. Although the days have been still warm, the mornings and evenings have definitely gotten cooler. I am excited because fall is my favorite season. Anyway, we had a meeting in the morning, then had lunch, and then had the rest of the day to play around. We went on the tram to the very top of the mountain, and it was so nice. Here are some pictures of the view.





We also got to go down the Alpine slide. I guess like any business a ski resort would have to offer something during the off season. I don't know how to put a video on this, but here is a link to one instead. And this is the result of going too fast around a curve. Oops.


It's a lot worse than it looks. It's really deep.

No comments: